It’s not uncommon for sales to be weighted toward specific products or services, even if others represent a higher margin opportunity, are better differentiated or have higher strategic value to the business.
- The first priority for a salesperson is to hit their target and earn their commission
- This often take the path of least resistance i.e. they’ll sell what they’re most comfortable with or what the client asks for
- This can often be in conflict with your higher-level strategic objectives
- It takes time to develop opportunities aligned to new or less established products/services
- The simplest, fastest and most effective way is to make it as easy as possible for them to grow
- One way is to get them involved only when an opportunity has been identified and theres qualified prospect that wants to meet
- You get the specific focus you need and they’re more engaged as there’s a better chance of a successful outcome